Sunday, January 31, 2016

2015 tool purchase review

The  biggest thing I got was the minimax s500p (mm20) bandsaw.

My holtzapffel bench is a perfect outfeed for it.  Been using it quite a bit more, the carbide bade is wonderful.  Used it for ripping to avoid kerf loss and already a bunch of resawing.  It's a little louder than I would expect (need to debug that one), and the fence doesn't secure squarely to the table (need to file some bad machining, but otherwise, this thing is pretty sweet.

Plenty of room for ripping.  Sometimes it interferes with my planer/joiner, but that's only if I have a board bigger than 7' long.  It's easy enough to move if that's the case.

During my sabbatical, I dropped some bills on some Bad Axe saws.  They're so nice, I don't want them breathed on wrong:

Bronze backed Stilleto dovetail saw and a short carcase saw.  Apple wood handles.  The long stilleto dovetail saw really works.  I don't know why, but I struggle with the longer Lie-nielsen carcass saw, wanted to try the shorter one instead which is the saw on the top


Roubo beastmaster that was from the saw plate that I practiced saw sharping on at the Bad Axe class in La Crosse.  That's a #7 in the background!



A Lie-Nielsen scrub plane and a small violin maker's plane.  The smaller one is for Sarah.  The scrub is for when I make the furniture out of the huge walnut tree I bought.


A couple of fishtail chisels and a PM-V11 chisel.  Used the PM-V11 quite a bit on all the ipe projects this summer.  Can't seem to tell the difference between this chisel and my LNs....


Just decided to go all in by my a Mitutoyo caliber.  Didn't want to fuss with other calipers that either got fantastic reviews or reviews that called them junk.



Forgot to mention that I made this tool tote out of scraps.  Nailed together with copper rosehead nails. Did this on a rainy weekend during the deck railing project, couldn't just keep gathering all my tools in random places on the deck every evening.  Needed to keep them organized


This has turned out to be one of my most used tools.  I'm constantly working on projects in the house that needs lots of tools from the garage, this way, I keep the work area nice and neat.  Mine is designed to hold a 24" rule + a panel saw, has a removable center divider and a couple of pencil/screw driver holders.

No comments:

Post a Comment