Sunday, December 29, 2013

First projects on the new roubo

Lots of dovetailing and hand planing - so new bench was perfect.  Much better than the old bench.  Still around, still use it for all sorts of stuff, but the new bench sits in my main bench area.

Lingerie chest on stand for Sarah.  Had on the base a long time ago from Sapele from the door.

Alaskan yellow cedar drawer sides - setting up for dovetailing

Thin, lightweight drawers mean glued on drawers slips.

Ready for some undies.  Turned all the drawer pulls from Cocobolo.  Used nearly all the tiger maple stock that I had including a really really nice board that I picked up.  (drawer fronts, and case top).  Used a general finishes gel varnish which worked out great, but interior ended up having too much Alaskan yellow cedar smell so had to shellac the interior.  Still haven't found a good way to apply shellac without it looking like crap.

Neat little jig for marking pins from tails that I got from David Barron on you tube.  Worked great on this project.  Used the absolute last bit of sapele that I had.  Even did a really nice job on the dovetails on this jig, so I'm definately proficient now.  I like the look of lots of tails...

No comments:

Post a Comment