Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dust collection pipe almost in!

After a weekend and some evenings, the 6" spiral pipe is finally in.  After I install some blast gates, I'm ready to woodwork.  I don't have to trip over the hose to my 3hp oneida cyclone anymore.  I also have a huge spot in the middle of my shop that has been opened up as the dust collector was moved to the corner of the shop - invading a little bit into Sarah's spot but she loves me and doesn't mind.

What went well:
1. The performance of the spiral 6" pipe is significantly better than the really short 4" plastic pipe I had.
2. Glad I went with metal, no worries with static shocks.  How do you ground an insulator anyway?
3. Getting nice clean runs despite the obstructions that I had.
4. Cutting the pipe with a jigsaw and metal blade

What didn't go well:
1. Getting the material home, especially since the HVAC shop had bankers hours and was far away
2. Cost.  It was 2X what I originally thought, but worth the $600 including blast gates, etc.

1 comment: